Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My first site flip  (Read 161 times)
philhowlett

« on: September 17, 2008, 05:42:51 AM »

I'm pretty close to selling my first flip. I'm going to write up a sales pitch today, so hopefully all being well it will be on sale tomorrow. As it's my first flip, I'm a little unsure of how well it's going to perform. I'm just looking for a little advice I guess.

The domain I got is www.moneysaverpro.com I paid $10 for it. What do you think of the domain? Secondly is the design. If you go on the site you can see the template I'm using (which is a premium template made free). I'm actually really happy with the template, and my logo design. Just wondering if you all think it looks professional enough to make a good sale.

I know you need features to sell a site, so I've included a relevant ebook, complete with a sales page and graphics and reseller rights. Also included is the all-in-one SEO pack, a sociable plug-in and I've submitted the site to 'orangesubmit' to speed up the google bots and stuff. Also included is space for further adverts. And ofcourse there's the (top notch?) template, a logo, and I'm going to offer 6 months webspace. I'm just curious of what you guys think this will sell for?

I'm just a student looking for some extra cash, so I don't mind if the site doesn't make me huge amounts of money. I've enjoyed the process so far, and I think I'll do more flips in future if all goes well. There's some great information on your site, which has been invaluable to me so far. Keep up the good work and this brilliant community! If you're interested in reading about my site flip, step-by-step have a look at my blog www.philiphowlett.blogspot.com
iheartmissy
Be Groovy, Baby!
Global Moderator

g34media.com

depauliac
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2008, 09:32:51 PM »

Hi, Phil:

First let me say (and as Bryan would say) congrats on taking the first step, sometimes that is the hardest move to make.

I like your domain, and the logo looks good. Below are my thoughts and or questions for you.

I only see one post on the blog. Are you planning on adding more?
What is the selling point to this site? Meaning who is it aimed at.
Have you made any sales with the ebook? People might ask you this.
What does it rank for?

You have a nice site, work on it and once the site is ready, go for it. Sometimes that is the only way to know if what you have, is marketable. (a/k/a sellable)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2008, 09:35:39 PM by iheartmissy » Logged

Need a blog? Send me a PM now. I can help you.
Need Images For Your Next Site Flip? Use My http://www.binkyou.net
Bclark
Administrator

Say What?

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2008, 11:18:44 PM »

I have to disagree about the logo.  It's attractive, but if you didn't give me the domain name, I'd seriously struggle trying to figure it out (pretend it wasn't attached to your URL)... You can use that as a basis, but I'd somehow make the arrows bigger for the a and v, which would make it a bit easier to decipher.

Also, we need a lot more info.

Uniques/Pageviews?
Organic traffic?
Revenue?
Rss subscribers?

How much content are you planning on adding?  Is it unique?

There is more to it than just saying check out my blog and give me an estimate.  A lot of things figure into the equation. 

But you've got a good starting point there.  Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Want to make real money online?  Learn how to flip sites at https://siteflipu.com
theaffiliatepost

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 02:04:45 AM »

Hi Phil,

I second what the others have said regarding taking the first step to site flipping and its great to see new people in here. I hope you will forgive me if I sound like an ass here but I feel one needs to be cruel to be kind.

In it's current state, the site that you are about to flip would get very slightly more than the $10 you paid for the domain (which is a great domain name IMO). I recommend you DO NOT sell this site just yet. My thoughts are that if you try and sell this site 'as is', you will be put off by siteflipping! With a little bit more time and effort you will get so much more back. I know you are just looking to get a little cash so lets say you are aiming at $150...what do you need to do to that site to acheive that figure?

Rather than making it appear that I am picking on faults, why don't you drop me an email and I would be willing to help you prepare this site for sale. You dont need to hold it for very long, but there is much work to do!

With a bit of guidance and the free hosting/extras you are providing, we should be able to get you a saleable package together.

Regards,

Neal

When I grow up I wanna be a blog flipper!

Look out for my next venture http://notabeneconsulting.com
philhowlett

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 10:28:38 AM »

Awesome, thanks for the replies  Don't worry about being 'cruel' I need all the guidance I can get so thanks a lot for that! Let me try to answer some of your questions.

I only see one post on the blog. Are you planning on adding more? I would add more, but I don't know where to look to pay professional writers! A link would be awesome. The first post is written by myself.

What is the selling point to this site? Meaning who is it aimed at. I'm aiming it at someone who's interested in building up a site similar to http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ or someone who is interested in money saving tips etc.

Have you made any sales with the ebook? People might ask you this. Nope, the site is only a few days old, and the ebook has been online for 3 days.

What does it rank for? Site is brand new, so right now, and I only started stat tracking 2 days ago. Looks like this so far: Unique visits 24 Number of visits 39 Pages 367 and Hits 2273

Point taken on the logo, will change it. Thanks for the pointer

Revenue is at $0.00 but the adverts have only been on a day or two.
RSS subscribers is zero I assume, I have no way of tracking that I know of.

Oh and Neal, check your inbox in the near future. I'd love your help! I kind of guess these would be the kind of replies I'd get, but hey I'm learning!
Bclark
Administrator

Say What?

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 11:45:19 AM »

I second Neal's sentiment.  Right now it's worth very little.  It's essentially a landing page to sell your ebook, only without the sales copy.  That won't work for buyers.

You need more content my friend.

Want to make real money online?  Learn how to flip sites at https://siteflipu.com
philhowlett

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 04:02:33 AM »

Looks like I need to get to work then. Where should I look to get people to write some articles for me? Oh and theaffiliatepost check your messages! Your email isn't available in your profile. Cheers.
theaffiliatepost

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 05:24:39 AM »

Just picked up your PM Phil, thanks for that. Yes, we have work to do!!

I'll send you an email now with some guidelines and we can get you started.

philhowlett

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2008, 03:54:58 AM »

I thought I'd come back and give everyone a status update on the site.

I took everyones advice, and with the help of affiliatepost (who's awesome for giving me all the help) the site has come on a lot! The first thing you'll notice if you visit the site is the look has changed. http://www.moneysaverpro.com/

I'm now using a premium theme giving the site a much more professional look, and hopefully bumping up the sale price. You'll see too that I've changed the logo a bit from before. Traffic and revenue have also increased greatly. I'm now getting over 100 unique visits a day, and the sites finally making some money through adverts (although still not that much).

I still have a way to go with content, but hopefully that will be sorted by the weeks end. I've got an ebook with resale rights to include too.

What do you guys think to it now? Be brutal.
Bclark
Administrator

Say What?

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2008, 09:12:39 AM »

So much better.  Keep the content coming and you'll make some real cash!

philhowlett

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 03:27:38 AM »

Glad you like it. Hopefully it'll be sold soon so I'll let you all know how much it goes for.
erics_dad

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 03:48:55 PM »

Hi philhowlett

The site is coming along great and I also bought a premium theme (woothemes) to spice up my finance blogs a bit.

I have a question if you don't mind. When you say you are already getting over 100 uniques per day, how are people finding your site? I only see 3 pages of content

Would you care to share if you are using social bookmarking or other forms of promotion? I have a blog that I upload content to at least 3 days a week and has over 80 pages now and I don't get that many hits. lol Of course, when you say "hits" are they all qualified human visitors?

What do you think is driving 100 uniques a day?

Thanks for sharing any info - your site's looking great!
theaffiliatepost

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 08:37:01 AM »

It WILL be ready for sale soon Phil!!

In answer to Erics Dad, what is driving traffic is Phil. The work he has put into the site has been top drawer. A combination of social bookmarking, seo work and commenting on related blogs like a madman has been the primary traffic sources. If you are looking for a quick flip, things like entrecard and such like also help; In fact, every little helps!

The content will come , and that will help traffic too, but don't mistake building a blog for blogging. It's all about the figures and the look of the site at sale time, as opposed to what you have done in getting it to that stage.

I second Bryan in saying that this could be a nice little sale for a first time flip!

philhowlett

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2008, 06:02:29 AM »

Cheers for answering the question for me Neal. I've got to say that Neal really knows what he's talking about and his advice has been brilliant. I have my own blog over at www.philiphowlett.com/blog2 which I use for my Uni course and that gets very few hits even though I use it a lot. You've got to put some work in to getting the hits, other than adding content. Use some wordpress plugins (all-in-one SEO pack and Sociable are really good). I was using entrecard for a little while to get hits, but over the last week traffic has stayed high without it.

I was lucky as well in that I know a lot of people who run websites, and I managed to get myself some free advertising. Kane who posts on these forums has an image hosting site (www.imagebash.com) which gets thousands of uniques a month and he offered me some free advertising space. Build up contacts and get lucky!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: