Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Pre-Existing Domains  (Read 107 times)
megler

« on: September 01, 2008, 10:55:20 AM »

I've just started reading Vic's blog and I really have no opinion on it one way or another.  However, I do have a question as it relates to blog flipping and I wanted to ask it here.  If you are creating a blog from scratch to flip, what is the general thought on buying a pre-existing domain to use vs a brand new domain?

I know when Bryan did his challenge and has done other contests, he uses brand new domains.  I don't think I've seen any comments on using pre-existing stuff.  I've only every bought brand new domains, so I'd like to hear what you guys think.

Thanks!

Marceia

ps.  ok, so I do have an opinion on the guy - he's a dumbass.  I'm still curious about the domain thing, though.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 02:18:56 PM by megler » Logged
theaffiliatepost

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 03:41:56 AM »

Megler,

I have had great success with expired domains and actually prefer them to new ones. You must of course do your due dilligence in buying them but look around and you can get some aged domains, with traffic and links for a bargain price. I have never paid more then $30 so far and have acquired a load of pr2 - pr4 domains.

I use the domains for bans - which has an instant impact on your earnings....especially if you have good links to the site. I also use them for blog flipping whereby I build up the blog and backdate the posts to fit the age of the domain. If you have a good source of content this can be done very quickly and you can turn the site around selling it as a '1yr old, PR? with x amount of links....instead of just a 30 day old site.

I have also had good success sellling the domains I buy, almost immediately, for profit!

Look around and you will see the value.

When I grow up I wanna be a blog flipper!

Look out for my next venture http://notabeneconsulting.com
megler

Re: Using Pre-Existing Domains
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 07:34:58 AM »

Thanks!

Wow, I never thought about backdating the posts, DUH!  That's such a smart thing to do.  You're right about the values.  I found a PR4 that was bidding at 50.00 - great values out there. 

I'm still learning about the due diligence.  I know to make sure it's not blacklisted, though I've read it's really not a big deal because you can get Google to reinstate you.  I suppose it depends on how long you want to keep the site?  Also, how do you know if it's blacklisted?  I know you can go to whois.sc/domain - but I don't see anything on there at says "Look at me, I'm blacklisted..."

Thanks!!
theaffiliatepost

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 11:06:59 AM »

No worries!

I have seen a lot of domains go last minute so try not to get too excited if the site you want is priced right with anything more than one day to go. Like I said, I never pay more than $30 and have picked up some great sites.

I was intending to do a big post on this but as I currently don't have a blog, thanks Bryan for lending me the platform. The short version

The routine I follow is something not too dissimilar to this:

1. search my keywords, or sites containing my keywords.
2. list them in order of current traffic and scan for any in my price range ( I will also look at what I call stand out domains. i.e those that grab you!
3. do some quick spot checks on dnscoop -just looking at age, links etc...anything of interest
4. pick out anything that takes my fancy and put them into my 'watching' list
5. you can run a blacklist check on a number of sites but iwebtool has a good one (google banned checker). Also do relevant searches on google and yahoo to see what you can pull up.
6. keep my eye on any movement/bids on the domain
7. run any other sort of check you can/want to
8. within the last 24hrs get your bid in
9. dont go over what you intend to spend on the domain as there are always other options out there
10. Done! There is no ten. Oh yeah...make money with your new domain in any one of a number of ways.

email or PM me if you want any more on the subject! I gotta rush off.

iheartmissy
Be Groovy, Baby!
Global Moderator

g34media.com

depauliac
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:22:55 AM »

Also look at the backlinks, are a significant number of them coming from only one or two sources?

Because it only takes a drop from one good PR site, to lose SERP position. So keep in mind how long you plan to keep domain, and where the backlinks to it are coming from.

I learned this the hard way.

Want a (kick ass blog) of your own - fully hosted for 1 year? Send me a PM now.
Bclark
Administrator

Say What?

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 05:27:59 PM »

You guys are magically delicious.  Great stuff Neal.  Missy, sorry that you got screwed... why are you always on the receiving end of this sort of thing? 

Neal, you should write a guest post for SFU.  You've got a good topic on your hands there 

Want to make real money online?  Learn how to flip sites at https://siteflipu.com
iheartmissy
Be Groovy, Baby!
Global Moderator

g34media.com

depauliac
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 06:37:21 PM »

No, i didn't get screwed. What happened is that when AP sold his blog the new owner removed the blogroll link to Bloggers Search. That made the blog lose some SERP power.

It is amazing what a PR 2 blogroll link can do for another blog. I learned first hand the power of blogroll links last week.

I sold the blog last week, and the SERPS will come back for the new owner, it's just a matter of time. He didn't get screwed either.

But it was an interesting development, and learning experience.

Want a (kick ass blog) of your own - fully hosted for 1 year? Send me a PM now.
theaffiliatepost

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 06:18:12 AM »

You guys are magically delicious.  Great stuff Neal.  Missy, sorry that you got screwed... why are you always on the receiving end of this sort of thing? 

Neal, you should write a guest post for SFU.  You've got a good topic on your hands there 

Magically delicious eh?.....I've been called a lot of things!!!

Bryan - Consider it done

Scott

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 12:52:04 PM »

I am wondering how much effect it has if the domain has expired.  I see the question sometimes asked "has it been dropped?" and obviously if I am buying an expired domain, it has been dropped by at least the previous owner.

Here is one that I am looking at (image below).  With a 4-year old site, I can obviously back-fill it with a lot of content.  And it doesn't hurt to have 856 backlinks showing in Yahoo.  But anyone can look at the "domain history" link and see the archives of what the site was like previously.

So, my questions are:
1. Am I correct to assume that this site should gain some good PR pretty quickly?
2. Does the fact that it has been "dropped" change its value signficantly?

www.TheyWonTheLottery.com
Every lottery has winners and losers.  Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.
Bclark
Administrator

Say What?

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 09:19:47 AM »

The problem with dropped domains, is that it was once a site, and Google can tell when it's been dropped.  So the backlinks to it carry very little weight, since the pages they point to no longer exist and itessentially essentially becomes a new domain.  To fix this, you could go back through and replace all the pages of the site, but this could be REALLY time consuming, and it'd be much quicker to just build the 700 links rather than replacing old pages.

So quick PR?  No.  When Google does the PR udpate, it'll spider the site and check incoming links, which will be lost if the pages they point to no longer exist.  The only time you'll get quick PR from the links is if they are all pointing to the home page, which would be the same - www.yourdomain.com - but you'll need to install a homepage obviously before the PR update.

Want to make real money online?  Learn how to flip sites at https://siteflipu.com
Scott

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 01:04:35 PM »

I want to be clear on this.
In the above example, 846 links just point to the domain name URL, not to a sub-page.  There are another 10 that point to a subpage inside that URL.
As I understand your explanation, the ones that point just to the URL will still be considered valid links, and the other 10 that point to other pages won't be valid unless I replace those specific pages on the site.
If that's the case, then this domain would still retain 846 backlinks, right?

www.TheyWonTheLottery.com
Every lottery has winners and losers.  Sometimes it's hard to tell the difference.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: