Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: When i sell, how do i transfer a site to another host?  (Read 151 times)
iheartmissy
Be Groovy, Baby!
Global Moderator

g34media.com

depauliac
« on: August 07, 2008, 10:15:59 AM »

Hi, guys:

I need your help on this one. When i sell a flip, how do i transfer the site to another host? I've not done this before, and don't know how to do it.

Please advise.

I might have to transfer one today, so any help is appreciated.

Missy.

Want a (kick ass blog) of your own - fully hosted for 1 year? Send me a PM now.
Bclark
Administrator

Say What?

« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 11:33:48 AM »

If you can hold off on it until tomorrow, I'll be posting ont he topic...

It's going to be different with different registrars and hosts though... your best bet is calling customer support.

Want to make real money online?  Learn how to flip sites at https://siteflipu.com
iheartmissy
Be Groovy, Baby!
Global Moderator

g34media.com

depauliac
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2008, 11:46:23 AM »

I had an IM chat with someone from DP, he wants my Groovy Space Layouts site, which is hosted on Dreamhost.

If you could write on this host tommorow, that would be awesome. I am taking this one slow, and told him, that if still interested, we could do it tommorrow.

Plus tommorrow the auction for Bloggers Search ends, and i have to transfer that one too. But that one is on Hostgator.

Bclark
Administrator

Say What?

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2008, 01:47:03 PM »

My post tomorrow probably won't come out in time.  A new hurdle just jumped out in front of me...

However, I don't have a Dreamhost account anyway, so I have no clue how to transfer anything from there.  Customer support can generally walk you through transferring the domain, or doing it for you.

As far as the site itself is concerned, you can't transfer a hosting account.  You'll need to make a backup of the SQL database, and then transfer that along with all of the wordpress files on your server for that site.  The SQL database contains all the posts, comments, settings, etc. and the files will contain your plugins, the theme and all that jazz.

It's not as hard as it sounds... I promise you this.  And once you do it once, it gets much, much easier!

Want to make real money online?  Learn how to flip sites at https://siteflipu.com
iheartmissy
Be Groovy, Baby!
Global Moderator

g34media.com

depauliac
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2008, 04:41:58 PM »

Thanxs, Bryan. I will get on a live chat with DH and learn it. I cant go around calling myself a site flipper, if i dont know how to transfer a site.

I'm sure after the first few transfers, it will be second nature. (or so i hope) I bought a cheap banner for my image host today on DP, and i cant even install that. What a dufus!

Bclark
Administrator

Say What?

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 06:10:20 PM »

Don't worry Missy, you have to learn the stuff in steps..  Up until about 4-5 months ago I outsourced EVERYTHING.  This cost me a fortune, because I had no idea how to tweak things on my blog, or to troubleshoot problems that I encountered.  I'm not a whiz at it yet, but I'm getting much better.  I've even been learning how to do some graphic design stuff so that I can create my own banners, headers, and sales pages.  I'm getting much better at it, and I even designed my own header for the first time at Site Flip U!

Keep plugging away!

iheartmissy
Be Groovy, Baby!
Global Moderator

g34media.com

depauliac
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 09:43:28 AM »

I decided to use my (wordpress guy) from DP. I've used him before for banner installs, wordpress tweaks, and other techie things. He is top notch, reliable, and charges very reasonably. (a/k/a is cheap)

If anyone here needs a techie guy? Let me know, i'll refer you to mine.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: